A Closet Cleanse with Kon Mari

March 17, 2017


Ever get that feeling that you're surrounded by junk? Yep, thought so...

I knew I had to do something to my closet with I recognized that there were things that I would make a conscious effort to AVOID wearing if I could help it. Every time, the minute I thought caught myself in that thought I would think, 'Wait, I don't even like this...why am I keeping it?'

Then I would come up with some random justification like, 'I just need the right thing to wear with it' or 'I'll keep it for that rainy day where every other blessed thing in my closet is in the laundry bin.'

Still, both of those failed to satisfy my puzzled state of mind. I thought for sure that I would be forever stuck in this place where there was always SOMETHING I'd be holding onto be that out of guilt, sentimentality, or blind hope. Then I discovered - drum roll please - Kon Mari!

Kon Mari is a Japanese method of organization created by Marie Kondo, who - believe it or not - is Japanese (Who'd of thought?)

Her method is pretty simple; if the item does not "spark joy" then it needs to be tossed. Doesn't matter if it's your old high school sweatshirt or your grandmother's hand-knit sweater. No ifs or buts; if it doesn't actually make you happy, it doesn't belong.

She instructs that you MUST start with clothing working your way through a certain order of categories to maintain order once you have obtained it.

So I began the cleanse...

She literally says to throw everything in a pile in the middle of the room
Honestly, where did all this stuff come from??

After I had done that, I handle every item and took the time to notice whether or not it "sparked joy."

If it didn't, I tossed it into the donation pile, but NOT before thanking it for it's service.

Just look at all that stuff!
Yeah, I literally said, "Thank you" to a bunch of inanimate objects...it was weird.


It may feel stressful at first, but trust me, it feels so GOOD when everything you own is something that makes you happy!

Look at the difference!

Unfortunately, I don't have the BEFORE, but this seriously feels SO. MUCH. BETTER!
BEFORE bookshelf/desk cleanse
AFTER bookshelf/desk cleanse

If you're still sitting there wondering if you have anything ancient that you forgot about in your closet, now would be the time to free yourself of those forgotten things! Make clutter something that is no longer yours to worry about!

Ta!

Jess




You Might Also Like

0 comments